ABOUT NEW HARVEST
New Harvest is a research institute that accelerates responsible research and innovation (RRI) and collaboration among stakeholders in the field of cellular agriculture. We have entities in the US, Canada, and we are in the process of establishing a foundation in the Netherlands. As the nonprofit hub connecting cell-based food startups to academic research, New Harvest brings long-range vision to the space and addresses the fundamentals necessary to elevate the discipline and organize collective responsibility in this developing field.
We support work that is not funded by traditional sources, because it is too early stage for industry, it transcends interests of for-profit entities and government, or because it lies outside the parameters of existing government grants. Our targeted funding is designed to maximize the positive impact of cellular agriculture. By committing to openness in our and our grantees’ work, we directly address the intellectual property-inefficiency that occurs when pre-competitive research is conducted by private companies and excluded from the public domain.
The Graphic Design Intern will be integral in communicating New Harvest’s “vibe” through on-brand visual assets shared on our various communications channels. The intern will also have the opportunity to follow the full design production line by coordinating with vendors for print items and donor gifts. We want the intern to bring their creativity, new ideas, and passions to their work. In addition to the regular org visuals, this internship will provide an opportunity for the intern to present unique ideas for projects and own those projects from start to finish.
The position reports directly to the Content Production Manager. The role is half-time and is remote. Applicants must be able to work from the states (New York, California, Texas, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Georgia) and provinces (Alberta, Ontario) in which we are registered to do business.
- Design & create visual assets
- Working closely with the Content Production Manager, create and edit digital assets for our social media channels, newsletters, slide decks, and blog
- Brainstorm ideas for visuals that pair with written copy, collaborating with the Communications and Media Manager and/or Development Manager
- Pitch and develop ideas for visual assets, including sketching and iterating on said visuals
- Develop branded icons
- Develop visual asset templates on Canva
- Work with the Content Production Manager to identify visual assets that can be templatized
- Develop/design the templates on Canva
- Document the proper use of templates in our knowledge management system (Slab)
- Visual asset organization
- File and name visual assets appropriately using New Harvest’s organizational system (Google Drive)
- Conference design
- Create, design, and produce print and digital assets for the 2022 conference
- Assist in the ideation process for stage and exhibition design
- Donor gifts
- Brainstorm ideas for donor gifts
- Provide feedback on and/or develop visual assets for donor gifts, as needed
- Coordinate with vendors on donor gift production
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- A strong portfolio of graphic design, art, and/or visual assets work is required
- Show us your best/favorite visuals work–anything goes!
- Photoshop, Illustrator competency preferred (InDesign competency a plus)
- Familiarity with design systems
- Ability and willingness to share ideas, give and receive feedback
- Strong listening, communication, and collaboration skills
- Demonstrated record of taking initiative, problem solving, and being able to quickly adapt to changing landscapes
- Strong visual narrative skills (a plus if related to science communications)
- Superb attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and independently
- Intrapreneurial attitude and work ethic
- Good group interaction
- All members of New Harvest’s staff are expected to operate as part of a team without the promotion of personal agendas and to exhibit a commitment to the profession and the organization. All staff must possess integrity, honesty and a sense of humor
- The internship will run from March 2022 to December 2022.
- Work is part-time (20 hours/week), $16.54/hour.
- Applicants must be able to work from the states (New York, California, Texas, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Georgia) and provinces (Alberta, Ontario) in which we are registered to do business.
- To apply, click below! You will be asked to attach your resume and cover letter. In your resume or cover letter, be sure to include a link(s) to your portfolio. This could be a personal site, an Instagram page, a Behance profile–you name it! The platform doesn’t matter, nor does it matter whether all your work is on one page. We just want to see what you can do!